The Los Angeles Chargers pulled off a stunning victory over the Kansas City Chiefs to start the Week 15 action. In turn, they jumped into a tie for first place in the AFC West, as both teams sit at 11-3 currently. But the key topic involves the fact that the two teams split the season series, so the tiebreakers are going to be big in terms of the playoff outlook.
Here’s a look at the latest AFC West standings:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: 11-3*
2. Los Angeles Chargers: 11-3
3. Denver Broncos: 6-7
4. Oakland Raiders: 3-10
*The Chiefs hold the tiebreaker currently due to the fact that they have a better win percentage in division games. This is the second tiebreaker that it comes down to, as head-to-head is the first.
NFL Divisional Tiebreakers
While the Chiefs currently hold the lead in the AFC West and also the No. 1 seed in the conference still, there’s still quite a bit of football to be played before this is decided. This race could come down to additional tiebreakers, so we’re going to break down the full list of potential tiebreakers for a division title, courtesy of NFL.com.
*Note: These are the tiebreakers involving just two teams.
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss
READ NEXT: Kareem Hunt Chiefs Release: Is Le’Veon Bell Replacement Option?